Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Festive season... it is!

It’s Christmas and I am in office. Work is less, as the rest of the world seems pretty busy celebrating or at least pretending to do so. I get some condolence messages from acquaintances whom I meet online. They seem concerned that I am working on a holiday. I feel sorry for them. Why are they online at this hour? Shouldn’t they be enjoying? I give the usual reply. I am in a shift job. My job requires someone to be here 24X7. And I am on shift now. Blah blah Blah . I spent the Christmas morning deciding whether to eat dosa or idli and looking at families enjoying a well planned picnic in Lal Bagh. Aunties with tucked up sarees trying to emote in the favorite family game dumb c. And me being the self declared fanatic of the game telling my friend how they are doing it wrong . Long story short I am very much away from family this holiday season. And on New Year’s eve, I would be in my hostel room watching the best program aired in the best channel.(I am blessed with a TV) And wondering if it is essential to kiss someone when the clock strikes 12. I would get my usual phone calls. And the ever concerned junta would again come forward to extend their condolences when I go about my” I don’t get leaves” self pity speech. I avoid mentioning that I never applied for one. I enjoy, working the entire night. I enjoy, Spending the morning watching others going about their own pursuit for happiness. Then when do I chose to go home? When the airfares are cheaper. When the world is busy making money. When my manager approves my leave without a second thought. And when my mom has all the time in the world for me. I go home. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

14 comments:

nutty said...

Hi!

As promised I'm back (just a few days shy of 6 weeks) and letting you know :)

I have yet to catch up on all blog world activity so will take a few days reading your last few posts .. will comment soon :D

I'm also wondering why I haven't blog-rolled you yet ... so just wanna let you know that's next on the agenda too :D

Bullshee said...

We have the concept of "moonkoor jamyam" in Kerala or "anticipatory bail"...I think tat's what you've taken!!

"World seems pretends to be celebrating"???Come on!Don't demean the fun that people have just because they HAVE it!!!

And don't give US the same 'I can't get a leave' bullshit!!We(a bunch of IT professionals who read your blog)too work in the service industry. You get leaves if you demand them and no manager can say no! There are only two reasons why you can't get a leave:

1)You're not a valuable enough resource for the manager to not say NO to...
2)You're scared of your manager

Both are not the manager's fault!!!

The world is busy making money so they can spend that money blowin it on New Years partyin'!!!What is life without that?

Lastly and what I found MOST hilarious---->

I've heard of Mallu gents tucking up their mundus/dhotis, but why on GOD's GREEN Earth did your aunties tuck their saris???!!! Ha ha ha ha!!!

I think I have ripped on ur post a bit....he he he he....

Constructive criticism, allaathentha penne?? :D

Nasia said...

@ nutty: Gr8 to have u back
@Bullshee: I never said I wont get a leave. I said i give that excuse, when i very well do get leaves if i ask.
and second: tucking up saris for u people who never wear sarees wud be,, pulling it up and tucking it in for easier movements. something ladies generally do..
its not constructive critiscm, you just didnt read it well.. or maybe i didnt write it well enough.. watver!

Jerry said...

hey nasia, nice piece of write up.
Cool .. and hey dont worry abt the festice season. Festive season is when u r with you family and not when the world says it is.
Abt the new year ki$$ ;) .. sorry i'm not availabel .. hahah :)..

advance new year wishes ...

nutty said...

Happy Holidays 2u2!

just read your last few posts and I'm not sure if blog-etiquette requires me to comment there or on your latest but since I assume you'll definitely look here .. well! here I am :)

Read your post - Gullible and I wanted to say - how do you know you haven't been talked (bragged) about by your friends? The whole point about guy talk is that it is limited to the guys and we girls hardly ever do come to know. My take on the whole thing is, its just harmless talk and as long as it doesn't come and bite you in the butt it doesn't really matter. Oh! and by the way - don't be under any illusions - all guys have their guy talk, even the nicest guys you could ever be friends with. And I assure you I'm not being cynical. It's just the way they're wired I guess.

jishnua said...

i ended up in your blog through your deepak sir's blog.. No comments on the blog but thought will convey my New year wishes with no strings attached..

Happy New Year 2008..

Zee said...

it's not rubbish!!!!
i HATE the feeling of working when people are on leave. so all these festive seasons i immediately take time off come what may....coz i don't want to spend any time feeling sorry for myself.......
ok so i do feel sorry for u....for having to work when the rest of the world is partying....but what the hell...

Anonymous said...

Levae ?? i am in notice period.. no leave for me !! :'(
Waaaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaahaha !!! :'(

jishnua said...

I am not sure what is there to feel bad about or crib in case you are working on a holiday.. as it is just how you want to work.. and as i do not know u in person i can always wish without any strings attached :)

Anonymous said...

*sigh* take care

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

happy new yr!!!!

Still Searching said...

I think its a good strategy! Why take holidays when everyone else is?! I did the same for my India trip.. I went during Thanksgiving when the airfares are cheaper, and worked throughout the holiday weeks here.. though I took 25th and 1st off.. but there was a time when I was working all holidays and all weekends, so I can completely relate to you!

Anyways, wishing you a very happy new year!

cm chap said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year... I wish & hope u get ur deserved vacation soon. I had 2 weeks vacation and had good time at home.

raghav said...

hmm .. how come u are not blogging nowadays ??

in case u did not know why ppl log on from home during hols and commiserate with their not-so-lucky friends .. its just to know how it feels to be on the greener side!! *grin*